5/27/2010

Beef Ravioli With Chiffonade of Greens in Truffle Butter

My plating for this post leaves a lot to be desired.  Too rushed at the end, as per usual.  But at least I'm still having fun with those sweet little Nasoya egg wraps.  This time they're filled with beef and a bit of mashed sweet potato, and topped with a chiffonade of lightly sauteed beet and mustard greens, all swirled in truffle butter.  And, just so you know, it tasted way better than it looks. Delicious in fact.

Originally I was only going to use mustard greens, but the beets had been cooked, (see previous post) and their nice little tops were calling out to me.  However, when you stir beet greens with something white, guess what happens?  Sure, they're called beet GREENS, but a reddish tint follows them about.  It's really OK, I like pink.  Only next time maybe not.


Also, when  left-over pot roast is glaring at you from a shelf in the fridge, this is one of the many things you can do with it.  I didn't use a grinder, just minced the beef extremely fine, added in a bit of the sauce, some mashed, cooked sweet potato, carrot, an egg, salt and pepper.


With the  Lemon-Feta Ravioli, I made two cuts from each square.  In this case, we simplified, just folding the first cuts in half and then used the cookie cutter on each side.

These were the milder sort of mustard green, and together with the beet greens, contrasted beautifully with the meaty filling.  Only a nicely light bitterness, with earthy notes picked up and accentuated by the truffle butter.  A bit of an extravagance, but once in a while, hey I figure we're supporting those hard-working truffle hunters and their little piggy helpers (or now dogs I hear). My  Natural Foods store carries them  in dear (both senses of the word) wee tubs.  About a good heaping tablespoonful went into this.  Almost the whole bloo--  tubful.  But, SO WORTH IT.  And, pre-CSA, it's doubtful I'd be cooking mustard or beet greens at all.  So, trying new things is another side benefit of that innovation.

This post will go over to Rachel, The Crispy Cook for Presto Pasta Nights, which I love for all the cooking inspiration I get every week.  Just check out the last round-up of recipes, you'll see what I mean.

9 comments:

Rachel said...

You certainly know your way around truffles, Claudia, you Cook the Books double winner! Bravo on the homemade ravioli. Thanks for sending this over to Presto Pasta Nights this week.

Ruth Daniels said...

They do sound droolingly delicious. Thanks so much for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights. We get inspiration from you too!

The Food Hunter said...

Love the combination of flavors here. I will hopefully make try making these soon.

Elizabeth said...

I beg to differ. I think this looks delicious!!

-Elizabeth

Tina said...

I've never made ravioli...I'm impressed :-0

Katie Zeller said...

Okay, I want the greens, and the wrappers... I can get the truffles, no problem....
It all looks wonderful - and so creative ;-))

Joanne said...

I love that these have mashed sweet potato in them! You have given me such a serious craving for ravioli now!

Heather S-G said...

What a gorgeous dish! The homemade ravioli is so impressive, but you had me at truffle butter!! :D

The Food Hunter said...

Looks great